Print

[image: Poster of the Symposium.jpg]

Dear Colleagues, dear Friends,

I am pleased to invite you to the event that I am organizing on April 7,
2023, from 9am to 6.30pm (PDT), at the University of California, Berkeley,
entitled :

*"Psychedelia and Computing: How to Bifurcate Cybernetics?"*

*Summary:*

In parallel with the current collapse of the cinema industry, we are now
witnessing the emergence of new recreational dream bio-industries that aim
to renew and artificially provoke dreams: the industry of psychedelic
experiences produced by micro-doses. This colloquium will consist, first of
all, in understanding the psychological, economic, and technological (or
organological) forces that explain the dazzling success of these new
industries. We will put forward the hypothesis that these psychedelic
industries are developing as a counterpoint to the technological processes
of general automation (which is also the automation of the mind), which are
increasingly affecting our ways of living and thinking. Now, rather than
generating a non-dialectical intermittency of the automation processes of
the mind through psychedelic experiences, we propose to carry out a
critique of the theoretical foundations of computer science that are at the
origin of general automation: cybernetics and computational theory. Against
a computationalist conception of reason implemented in our new artificial
intelligences, the stake of this critique will be to discuss the bases of a
new psychedelic computer theory that reintegrates the possibility of the
dream experience and the determination of the unconscious within our
interactions with machines. It will therefore be a question of conceiving
the psychedelic experience as a cognitive bifurcation operator, whose
challenge is to anticipate its occurrence within computer theory; that is
to say, within our interactions with new artificial intelligences, which
are still completely incapable to dream.
This event is produced by the NEST program and the Noödesign association,
in collaboration with the department of Rhetoric and the department of
Anthropology of the University of Berkeley. It is hosted by the Center for
Science, Technology, Medicine and Society (CSTMS) of Berkeley University.
Art Sci, UCLA; SAAS-FEE Summer Institute of Art and Ars Industrialis are
partners of the event.

The event will take place in person and online. So you can follow the
symposium remotely if you wish by registering on the form present in the
general presentation link of the symposium :
https://cstms.berkeley.edu/current-events/psychedelia-and-computing-how-to-bifurcate-cybernetics/

Looking forward to meeting you!

Igor Galligo

--